Teens Driving Violence Prevention in RVA
Empower RVA Teens is YWCA Richmond’s Teen Peer Facilitation program. This program is a student-led, community-service leadership opportunity for local high school-aged teens. It aims to prevent teen dating violence and sexual assault by educating and empowering teens to teach their peers about healthy relationships. Teens will have the opportunity to learn about these important issues, facilitate workshops for their peers, and lead events and conversations throughout the year, especially during Teen Dating Violence Awareness Month.
Topics We Address
- Teen Dating Violence Awareness: Teaching teenagers about the dynamics of teen dating violence and how to help a friend involved in an abusive relationship. Also, teaching parents how to have conversations with their teens about these often challenging topics.
- Bullying Awareness and Prevention: Provide children and teenagers the opportunity to learn about the dynamics of bullying, how to respond when they witness bullying, and a space to discuss how their community is affected by bullying.
- Healthy Relationships for Teens: Provide teenagers a space to explore what they want from a relationship and healthy ways to resolve conflict when in one.
- Creating an “Upstander” Community: Bystander Intervention: Provide a space to engage in a dialogue and participate in activities about bystander intervention and how to become an “upstander” or someone who intervenes safely and appropriately when they believe someone is in danger.
- The teens also learn about cultural awareness, consent, gender stereotypes and its effects on teen dating relationships.
If you are interested in learning more about the Empower RVA Teens program, please contact You may contact Robin Sawyer at firstname.lastname@example.org or 804.643.6761 ext 150
Request a Teen Peer Facilitator
Our Teen Peer Facilitators are high schoolers who have attended a 16-hour certification program where they learn about healthy relationships, teen dating violence, and facilitation techniques. If you are interested in having one of our Teen Peer Facilitators or a YWCA staff member come speak to your club, organization, or group, please fill out our Speaker Request Form.
You may contact Robin Sawyer at email@example.com or 804.643.6761 ext 150 for more information and scheduling questions.