THE SPROUT SCHOOL:
Early Childhood Education
The YWCA of Richmond’s Sprout School provides high quality preschool services for children between the ages of 18 months and 5 years old.
Preschool hours are 7:00 am – 6:00 pm, Monday – Friday. Our Center is state licensed and is one of the few nonprofit centers in the area accredited by the National Association for the Education of Young Children (NAEYC). We are a full day, full year, mixed income early education center. We work with Richmond Public Schools and Head Start to blend classrooms to promote racial and socio-economic equity.
The Sprout School embraces the Reggio Emilia teaching philosophy which encourages discovery, creativity and community. In our preschool, a child is an active learner partnered with the teacher.
The Sprout School:
- views a child’s curiosity as a crucial tool in the learning process.
- encourages questions and provides interactive tools with which children can experiment and learn through play.
- plants seeds of knowledge for children to choose to nurture.
- promotes childhood literacy and a love of learning.
- encourages children to discover answers to their own questions and to make connections through collaboration with their peers.
- prepares students for kindergarten and beyond. Last year, 100 percent of our transitioning preschoolers were ready for kindergarten.
The teacher’s role is not to provide children with all the information, rather to help children discover answers on their own.
- 100 percent of eligible children transitioned into kindergarten
- 100 percent of parents said their child’s teacher understood their needs
- 98 percent of children correctly understood colors and shapes
- 95 percent of children met or exceeded emotional and social benchmarks
The YWCA is committed to making quality childcare services available to all families. The cost of providing these services is supported through grants and donations and is subject to available funding.
For more information about the Sprout School, please email Kathleen Eastman or call 804-643-6761.